Monday, October 10, 2011

tHiS iS wHaT i LiKe (post 311)

J. Lamb 2010
Autumn.

You know it's no secret that this is by far my favorite time of year! The weather gets cooler, my Fall wardrobe is far more interesting, cooking and heating up the kitchen is again desirable, and the world transforms into a golden blast of color before the long sleep of winter. Even with my ridiculously busy schedule of work, kids, more work, and kids again, I make sure to take some time to cook up some of my favorite dishes!

I've mentioned before about one of my favorite sites for recipes is ALLRECIPES.COM. I love their easy to follow recipes and tons of ideas for anything you could possibly want to cook. Last week I was in the mood for something in the way of soup and maybe pumpkin, yum! I lucked out and found this yummy recipe:

Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup 

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 (15 ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
  • 1 cup light coconut milk

Directions

  1. Heat the coconut oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the vegetable broth, curry powder, salt, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the mixture comes to a gentle boil, about 10 minutes. Cover, and boil 15 to 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the pumpkin and coconut milk, and cook another 5 minutes.
  2. Pour the soup into a blender, filling only half way and working in batches if necessary; process until smooth. Return to a pot, and reheat briefly over medium heat before serving.  
I know you're thinking, wait, curry?! Isn't that seriously spicy? I say if you haven't tried it, don't knock it! I am convinced that you can add curry to just about anything and it makes it better! Think more of a smokey flavor than a hot flavor. This soup was soooo good too! Totally satisfied the soup/pumpkin craving I was having and super easy to make too!

My GF Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is a much requested treat and in fact, my man has just about polished off the last batch I made in April! (Gotta love my freezer!)

(The original recipe is here also on Allrecipes.com , I just modified it a bit to make it GF and Dairy-free)
 
GF/ Dairy free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (such as Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup gluten/dairy free semisweet chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet chocolate mini chips from Enjoy Life , which I just get at Wal-Mart BTW)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Stir in the walnuts if desired. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges begin to brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely. 
What are some of your favorite fall treats to make? I would love to hear them at shesnotyouraveragemom@yahoo.com or come and visit me at facebook.com/ShE's NoT yOuR aVeRaGe MoM. Hooray for Fall!! ;0D 

No comments: