Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanks again!

I have had a few requests for a fabulous soup I make and thought I'd give it a share:

German Potato Soup (GF of course!)


1 pound potatoes (washed and diced)
2 leeks (trimmed and diced)
2 carrots (peeled and diced)
1 cup chopped cabbage
4 cups Beef Broth (I like Pacific Natural Food's version)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrin's)
1/2 cup sour cream
6-8 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)

Combine leek, carrots, cabbage, broth and potatoes into Crock-Pot. Stir in seasonings. Cover and cook on low 8 to10 hours or High 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaf. Using slotted spoon remove potatoes and mash, Combine potatoes with sour cream. Return to Crock-Pot and stir. Stir in bacon pieces. Serves 6 to 8.

This soup is a huge hit at my house and it's so simple too! Yum, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

I also wanted to take the opportunity to write my thoughts on Thanksgiving. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the fact that there is an entire holiday dedicated to giving thanks...I just wish more of an emphasis was put on this for everyday. Use this time to teach your children about gratitude and what it really means to be thankful for the things we have. I know that times are rough everywhere, we are not excluded from this at my house either. Before you become bitter about the things you are doing without, remember the things you have. I would be doing myself a great injustice if I didn't take the time to be thankful for what I have and here goes (in no particular order):

My children. They have given me more opportunity to learn and grow in this life than any other person or experience could. We don't always have much, but there is no doubt how much I love them and that is all that matters, right? Thank you, thank you for letting my be your mother.

My family. I'm not sure what I did right on the other side, but I got the very best parents, siblings, in-laws (ex does not do them justice), cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles a girl could ever ask for. Thank you, thank you for being mine!

My Man. My love, my best friend, my cohort, my warmth. You love my children as your own and for that I am so very, very lucky. You constantly amaze me with your strength and that smile is unmatched, thank you.

This is just a drop in the bucket and I could go on like this forever! Have you taken a moment to say thanks? Maybe it's about time for you too. ;0)

1 comment:

Cara said...

Thank you for the recipe! Sounds oh so yummy!