Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What I love about Fall!



It's simple really. Well, beyond the cooler temperatures (I live in an area of the southwest that sees fairly extreme temps in the summer and the cooler weather is such a relief!) and the shorter days and the opportunities for some fantastic family activities (think Halloween and Thanksgiving and all the busy stuff that includes), it really is simple. I love fall for the opportunity for all that great cooler-weather cooking I get to do!

You see, when your house is about 80 degrees already and it's 100+ outside, turning on the oven or the stove-top to heat stuff up is incredibly unappealing. We eat a lot of simple meals in the summertime. The cooler weather, therefore, gives me opportunity to be creative in the kitchen once again! Yes! This evening was no exception with this delicious (and GF of course ) soup.

Bean with Bacon Soup

1 tbsp olive oil (or canola)
1/2 onion (coarsely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 celery stalks (coarsely chopped)
8 oz sliced baby carrots (about half a medium bag)
1 can S&W 50% reduced sodium white beans
1 can S&W 50% reduced sodium kidney beans
2 cups vegetable broth (I use Pacific Natural Food's version)
1 tbsp (more or less to taste) worcestershire sauce (I use Lea and Perrin's )
10 slices of heat and serve bacon (cooked and crumbled and I like the stuff from Great Value)


Heat your oil over medium heat in your large soup pot adding your onion and garlic and cooking until the onion is clear. Next add your celery, carrots, and black pepper and saute over medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes and then add both cans of beans, liquid and all. Then add vegetable broth and worcestershire sauce and simmer covered for a bout 15 minutes. Heat and crumble bacon and add to soup. Serve hot. Makes about 6 servings.

Doesn't that just sound divine?! It is soooo good too! My non-gluten free eaters add cheese crackers to their soup, but it is fantastic on it's own. I have to apologize for not sharing more often (it really wasn't my intention to fall of the planet), I really do love this blog and I'm hoping the time fairies will be a little more generous with me! Fingers crossed and happy Fall! ;0D

2 comments:

Cara said...

If I could get my kids to eat beans I would definitely try this soup! ;)

jgirl said...

My kids would probably starve if they refused to eat beans, it's a GF staple at our house! ;0D