Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sew a little love


I'm not sure how I've found the time to do any sewing, but I did manage to make a couple of winners! We did a little tie-dying with our thrift store treasures, but I've done a little reworking of things "New Dress a Day style". The first one started out as a plain pink tank picked up for a buck. My daughter is obsessed with cherries at the moment and we picked up a little fabric (for 1.50) at Wal-Mart and got to work.

I made ruffles and attached them to some narrow elastic and pinned them "tiered" style to the body. After a little sewing and the addition of that great sparkly pink belt, she got this! I mean, how cute!! This was super easy to make and she loves it! ;0D



The piece I'm wearing started out as a plain red sleeveless shirt I picked up at Ross on clearance for a couple of bucks. I had it for a different purpose and decided it would be so cute as a vest! I picked up the red apple fabric in a bundle from the thrift store thinking it was flannel. I pulled it out later and discovered it was knit?! Score!

I started out by cutting the red shirt in half up the middle. I then cut my material to twice the width of the shirt and gathered and pinned it to the bottom. I stitched it down and made some piping for the edges up the middle. Look how cute this turned out! My daughter has decided she REALLY likes it and it is now residing in her closet! I just love how cute they turned out and how cheap! Chic on the cheap is my mantra! ;0D