Tuesday, August 30, 2011

TiP fOr TuEsDaY (post 302)






Busy Mom? Okay, I'm aware it's impossible to be a Mom and not be busy, I mean seriously. I'm all sorts of busy these days and really good at being pooped! So, how on earth do you maintain sanity in this business? Maybe it isn't possible...you be the judge!:

BE ORGANIZED.

This comes easily for some, not so much for others! My sis is the organizing queen (check here for tips), me I have to keep certain things in order as to not lose it! The kids pick out clothes the night before and lay them out. All homework and things that need to go to school get loaded up and set by the door the night before as well. I juggle all appointments via my mobile device, which works great! I just plug it in as it's made and review my calender weekly.

BE REALISTIC.

It's impossible to do it all, so don't try. I've watched so many Moms burn themselves out and it's not good for anyone. Being frazzled constantly makes your kids crazy and your mate as well and it just leads to Mommy-guilt and I know I have enough of that on my own! My house gets a good scrub on my days off, so I just make sure it gets picked up the rest of the week. We attend as the important activities (such as Back to School Night) and just let others go. The kids have enough stuff to think about and do without attending every single little thing and my kids don't complain. A little down time is good for everyone! ;0)

RECRUIT.

Once you kids are old enough to walk, they are old enough to be taught to clean up after themselves, period. I love it when they are little and we always sang the "clean up" song and they picked up their toys gladly. Unfortunately I have a house full of preteens and this isn't quite so effective, thank goodness we started young! They are old enough to keep up with daily chores for an allowance and I am grateful for the help. Teach them to be responsible for themselves and to be courteous to the world around them by having them help with the housework. Too bad it isn't as effective for grown men...hmmmm.

DON'T FORGET HIM AND YOU.

I was watching the Today Show this morning and heard that happy couples make the time to spend 30 minutes with each other (uninterrupted) daily. (The article is here) Talk about your day and listen to your partner for real. I know this is hard at my house with crazy work schedules, busy kids and whatnot. We still take the time to talk at the end of the day and have our ritual coffee every morning.
I can't overstate the importance of taking a little you time either. Something just for you, a hobby, a passion, a good read. Even if you sneak a 20 minute nap occasionally, I'll bet the world won't come to an end!

I know it's crazy at my house, but that's okay. I can't do it all and remember everything and have a spotless house all the time, so be it. As long as the kids and the man know I love them and I maintain my sanity (somewhat) then we're good! That's your TiP fOr TuEsDaY! ;0)

No comments: