Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TiP fOr TuEsDaY (post 308)

Priorities.





There is a reason why my title pic shows me juggling my kids. Yep, and you guessed it it has to do with priorities. As a kid your top priority is what? Maybe your social life, or your gaming habits, or asking "what's for dinner?" a thousand times that day? As an adult, you find that your priorities shift and this is especially true when you become a parent. I can name so many things that I want to do, but I can name so many more things that I have to do. Eh, such is life. Is it all worth it in the end? Absolutely! I want my kids to grow up knowing that they were my top-priority and that I love them and want them to be happy above everything. This is my goal. I know that it is the "in thing" to be, eh, let's say a "less-involved" parent (to be polite) and to be more concerned about yourself and your social life. What we should we be doing is raising self-sufficient, respectful, motivated, leaders of tomorrow. Here's my thoughts on the subject:


Teach your kids to do for themselves.

When they are little and eager to please, this is the time to teach them to clean up after themselves. Make it a game and keep it up through out childhood. I don't understand parents that don't teach their kids to keep their rooms clean, or to do household chores, or to clean up spills or accidents they make. Do you want them to live with you forever? I don't like cleaning up after everyone all the time, seriously, I have better things to do. I pay my kids a small allowance and let them earn the things they want. They don't do their chores, I don't pay allowance. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Make education a priority.

Not trying your best is not acceptable at my house. If you are capable of doing it, then you do it to the best of your ability. Period. Don't make excuses for your child and don't tolerate laziness when it come to their studies. "With a good education you can do anything." is the  family motto around here and we mean it! I don't expect a brood of overachieving of early burnouts, but I never tell my kids they "can't" do something. If they are willing to put in the work, then we are willing to make it happen. You want to be extraordinary? Then extraordinary shall you be!

Be respectful of others and teach it young.

Why is it that no one teaches this anymore? I am sick and tired of parents just letting their kids run wild and not teaching them to respect property, or time, or the feelings of others. Is that yours? Then don't touch it. Are you thinking of those around you? Then why not? Don't you like others to treat you with dignity? This are questions you should be asking parents and giving the answers to you children. No one person is better than another. You are not special simply because you think you are. You are unique just like that guy walking down the street and we respect the thoughts and feelings of everyone.

Make your own happiness.

No one can do it for you. I hear it all the time, people complaining that they are unhappy because of so and so's actions. How ludicrous! You and only you can choose how you react to situations and to the actions of others. I wasted too many of my years miserable because of how I was being treated. Yeah, there are a lot of jerks out there that get off on making those around them miserable. If you have a constant downer blocking your sunshine, then ditch them or deal. Don't let them make you miserable. People can't read your mind and you can't expect others around you to make you happy. Speak up for what you want, choose to be happy, and never let people treat you badly. Oh, and learn to ignore the haters! Ha!

Okay, as I read through this post I'm not sure that the body necessarily lives up to the title (so what else is new, right?). I just know that we as parents can do a better job. I get complimented constantly on how well-behaved my kids are and I don't really know why! I mean, they are kids! They love to drive me nuts, but know how much I love them and know that it is enough to make sure they behave. They watch your every move and you are disrespectful, then they will be more disrespectful and if you are lazy, they will be lazier. I see it every day and it makes me sick.

No comments: