Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Communication


What's that? I can't understand you! Are you trying to tell me something? I just don't get it! I am convinced that man and woman were meant to procreate only and not necessarily communicate with each other. Yep, I know in my world that whatever I say is completely misunderstood or taken out of context. I am also expected to be a mind reader because communication obviously so very difficult for someone (who shall remain nameless). Men and women just seem to speak completely different languages. Or is it just me?

"I just had to haul the trash can up and over the bumper of your car...it's too close to the garage"
"Well, I could have moved it"
"Would it kill you to just say sorry?"
 Because that was really all I wanted. 

I spend a great deal of time making sure that everyone else in the family is comfortable and happy, honestly I just wanted you to pick up your socks for me for once. I had a bad day. I'm tired and crabby and I'm complaining. Of course you had a worse day. Okay, so since when did the bad day club become a competition? Let me complain, commiserate with me a minute and then apologize for not picking up your socks. Again. Is that really so hard?

You're pouting in the next room and are insisting that you are not hungry even though I am perfectly willing to make you dinner. This drives me insane! Something is bothering you and instead of talking about it you are going on a hunger strike. Really?! Tell me what's wrong already, I'll listen (unless I'm furiously typing at the keyboard). I want to help, really. Just tell me what you want for dinner already. ;0)

Okay, maybe it is just me. Maybe communication among the sexes just isn't meant to be. Perhaps I should have "I'm sorry" tattooed to your forehead. I say this as I pick up your socks again and try to guess what you'll be willing to eat for dinner. Take a minute to actually listen to me and take a minute to understand what I need from you because I obviously don't speak the language. ;0)

2 comments:

Cara said...

Nathan and I have a lot of heart ot hearts after the kids go to bed. WE use that time to say exactly what's bothering us with no accusations. It seems to workl well. Also I read once that you should avoid inflammatory phrases such as "you never" or "you always" cuz really our partners in life aren't "always" or "never" doing anything, right? Communication takes practice. :)

jgirl said...

Lots and lots of practice! Honestly it's not that I am unwilling, having a conversation with a brick wall is pointless. *sigh*