Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shine

J. Lamb 2011
"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same" ~ Marianne Williamson
I know you must be looking at the day and thinking, wait, its not Friday is it? I know I usually use this type of format on Fridays, I've just been in the dumps a bit lately and thought I'd give a little boost in hopes of it rubbing off on me. 
In years past, I know that I have suffered from low self-esteem. I look back at the decisions I've made over the years and some of them just scream, "I AM PATHETIC AND I THINK NO ONE LIKES ME!" I am not going to sit here and tell you that I don't catch myself thinking about not being good enough occasionally, but I recognize it as destructive and correct it. If you exude light, you will attract others to it. It's strange to think, but very true. I was picked on horribly growing up, made fun of for absolutely everything I couldn't help. I was skinny and awkward and never wanted anything, but for people to like me and include me. It's impossible when you are so young and so easily influenced by your peers to know that your tormentors are the people who are wrong and not you. I developed a really thick skin over the years and by the time high school rolled around, I could pretty much ignore anyone. When I met my now ex-husband, I didn't realize that my deep rooted self-esteem issues showed and I attracted people that weren't that good for me. He was controlling and verbally and physically abusive and spent so many years not knowing why nothing I did was good enough. Until I had had enough.
If you ever catch yourself thinking, why do bad things happen to me?, all the time maybe you should be working on you, not anyone else. My sister has a saying up in her home that says, "The only person you can control is you". I can't control situations, people, or things, but I can control me. Me alone. People describe me as confident in my abilities and I don't know if that's accurate, but I do know who I am. Maybe that's the key. I can control how I act and react to situations and people and concentrate on accepting people for who they are as opposed to trying to control them.
Shine bright and exude that light. Teach that by example to your children and share it with your peers. Love yourself to start and show people how to love you back. I feel better, how about you? ;0D

No comments: