Tuesday, April 13, 2010

TiP fOr TuEsDaY


I'm trying to keep up with my goal of taking a little time to share about 5 days a week...you know seeing as though I'm not a member of the workforce at the moment! On Tuesdays I'll share a tip that works for me and you might find it helpful too!
Getting the most for your dollar. Over the weekend my man and i enjoyed a little barbecue action with the kids. I went to my local grocery store and picked up some boneless, skinless chicken breasts to grill up. They were about 9 bucks for a package of three (about 3 lbs) and they were holding a sale for buy on get one free, so I got 6 breasts all together. We took them home and I prepared a glaze of honey, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, garlic, and spicy mustard. (These are all gluten-free BTW) I dredged the chicken in these and my man grilled them up, they were great! The only problem with this is the breasts were quite large and it was getting kinda late when we finally sat down to eat. The kids were more tired than hungry and we ended up with a lot of leftover chicken. Well, what now right? I gathered up the chicken and stored in a container with the thought of reusing it.
Here's what I ended up with...enchiladas! I started by shredding the leftover chicken (by using two forks on a cutting mat) and tossed it in a skillet with a can of mild green chilies, a chopped green onion, and a can of black olives. I let it simmer for a few minutes and added a can of black beans and a can of authentic Mexican red chile enchilada sauce. (gluten-free) I simmered this so the flavors could meld for about 10-12 minutes on medium/low. For some reason I could not find corn tortillas at my local grocery store (why, I don't know...no plug for them then!) so, I served up the enchilada mixture over Frito's,(totally kid friendly!)with shredded Mexican blend cheese and sour cream. It was really good! Now my gluten-free man actually ate his over rice with soy cheese (yes, he has a dairy allergy too)and was quite pleased!
So, here's my tip for Tuesday...don't be afraid to reuse and make something else fabulous! =0)

No comments: