Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TiP fOr TuEsDaY


Be chic on the cheap! This would be one of my all time favorite tips and I like to share (and never feel bad about) with anyone who'll listen, what little money I've spent on just about everything! Let me share a few tricks I've learned on how to look great on very little:
1. Invest a little time. If you frequent places such as Ross, TJ Maxx, or even Target you'll need to take the time to walk up and down all the clearance aisles (at Target) or go through all the clearance racks first. You never know what treasures you'll find unless you take the time to look! For instance today at Target I found a darling little girls dress for my daughter for $3.48 on the clearance rack as well as a very nice (and classic) dress for myself for $6.98, just by looking through all the clearance racks! This will take a little longer and if you have uncooperative kids it doesn't work as well...either bribe them with a dollar item (it was cotton candy for mine today) or leave them home when possible.
2. Look for your size on all the racks. This is especially true if you are at Ross or TJ Maxx, the stores are set up kinda like giant yard sales and have very little floor staff keeping them straight. Don't just look at the hangers either, take a peek at the tags as well...I can't tell you how many times I've found stuff that was actually my size, but on the wrong size hanger. What I do frequently is look for my size on the right rack and also look one size up and one size down...things easily get moved just a section over.
3. Don't be super picky. Is it missing a button? Is it soiled? Is it a tad too big and made of cotton or out of season? All things that are easily remedied! If it is missing a button or soiled at Ross and isn't marked "as is", take it up to the customer service desk and point it out...they are more than happy to give you a 15-25% discount because of it...don't be afraid to ask. Of course if it is a tad to big , wash it first before wearing...love that cotton and even if it says "preshrunk" it will still shrink a little. If it's out of season, I always buy it anyway and wear it again next year. I try to always bear things that aren't going to go right out of style, such as jeans, t-shirts, classic sweaters, pj's... this way I know I'll be able to get use out of them the following year.
4. Buy items that can be worn several ways. I buy lots of plain colored shirts, skirts, t-shirt dresses, slip dresses in plain colors or simple patterns, such as a small check or classic stripe...this makes it easy to change up your look and not have to buy lots of new things. The dress I have on above is in a classic gray (I paid 7 dollars for it at Ross), I just paired it with whimsical striped socks, a bright colored tank, and matching sneaks but could have easily put on leggings and boots with it with a long sleeved t underneath or worn jeans and strappy sandals instead. I just go with things I know are versatile! Also don't be afraid to do a little accessorizing...the necklace I actually picked up at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks and is great for a pop of color. Scarves, belts, great shoes, a cute purse can all be great conversation starters and make a classic piece unforgettable!
Take it from me, I don't have a lot of money but still like to look good. Try these tips to be chic for cheap!

No comments: