Thursday, May 19, 2011

The hard way

J. Lamb 2011

My daughter and her friends after running their 4x100 relay Saturday. They had the opportunity to participate in the city meet for their age group after placing first in their school. At the meet they placed 4th overall with a really good showing, we (the parents) were really pleased. This led to the opportunity to try out for the relay team to be sent to the regional meet which they were all excited about and what happened today in the rain. Instead of trying out as a team, they were to try out as individuals being chosen for their times instead. There were many very fast girls there and although my daughter is quite the athlete, excelling in sports and anything active, she isn't as fast as some of the others. She is however a great team player and super friend.

I said nothing as I sat in the rain waiting for the tryouts. She warmed up with her friends as I watched with her brother. The girls readied for their heat and I held my breath as she ran two consecutive 16 sec 100 meters. Slow or at least slower than the others. As we walked to the car her brother ribbed her and suggested she stick with soccer, "I know!", she snapped, obviously upset. We drove to the store on the way home and she sat quietly (unusual for her) and only spoke to snap at her brother for being annoying. I asked her not to snap at her brother and told her I was sorry she didn't do better at her tryouts. The tears came then and she lamented, "But at least you didn't have to run and be all embarrassed!" I hugged her and told her she was really good at so many things and it's really impossible to be good at it all and not to worry about it.

As a parent we can't protect our children from it all, even with as much as we want to. Sometimes you have to let them learn for themselves in the rain, the hard way.

2 comments:

Cara said...

It could always be worse. At least she didn't fall on her face... or be one-armed like a certain someone else we know. :)

jgirl said...

How very true! ;0D