Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Quick, but not overly accurate

I love my kids. They are my world and making sure they are happy, healthy, and well-cared for is my top priority. As I think back at all the things I do for them on a daily basis and otherwise, I can't help but to think about what my Mom did for us growing up. I say this as I just finished typing up a report on China for my 12 year old.

I typed slowly annoyed that I had to get my report all typed before school the next day, thinking of all the other things I could be doing now. The day was warm and the cool breeze was calling my name and reminding me I had a date later. I glowered at the screen as if to punish it for my lack of foresight. Not that foresight is a easily grasped concept at 17, but then again when you look back as an adult everything is clearer somehow. Mom walked by about that time on her way to do something else and was caught by my pouting in her direction.
"Honey, how much more do you have to go?", she sympathized, aware that I had been sitting there for well over an hour already.
"Um...", I shuffled the pages and sighed and without another word she shooed me from the room and typed up the rest in half the time it had taken me so far. 

As I think about this now as a mother with more things on my plate, I know. My Mom didn't have to help me out, she could have made me miss my date and be responsible, but she didn't. She did just what I would do for my own kids, help out and love unconditionally.

I can type. I am fairly quick, just not overly accurate. Perhaps this is the way life gets lived as well. It's over far quicker than we expected it to be and the kids are old enough to live lives of their own. We won't always get everything right, no one does. I'll bet in the end when our kids are raising their kids, they'll remember what you did get right. Maybe.

No comments: