Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Be My Friend?


It's great to have friends, right? Someone to talk to, someone to care, someone who thinks you're great at being you. I recently ended a friendship with someone who I used to know, then found again, and ultimately had to let go. I miss having this person to talk to, but it was truly for the better. We came from the same place and appreciated our differences, but it was me who needed it to end. Maybe feelings got hurt, maybe we were in very different places in our lives, or maybe I'm not very good at being a friend. It's not that I don't mean well, for I care very deeply for the people in my life past and present, I just like my space.
It makes me wonder what qualities do you look for in a friend? I have a list here I'm going to reference from The mystic madness blog  listing the top 10 qualities of a good friend from honesty to loyalty to acceptance to respect.
Honesty. I tend to be blunt and being a good friend would mean you need to be able to take it. I do bite my tongue with people I don't really know, but otherwise look out! I want you to tell me what you think as well.
Loyalty. Be willing to stick it out through the rough patches, life has its ups and downs. Recognize a great person when you see them and hang on to them.
Supportive. Not everyone is going to agree with you and like what you are doing or saying, but a good friend will support you no matter what. I want you to be happy with whatever you are doing, I'll be here for you.
Good listener. This means even if they are going on and on about their kids or whatnot. A great friend will listen to you irregardless.
Reliable. Showing up when you said you would is always nice. No one likes it if you flake out on plans all the time, especially your friends.
Have a sense of humor. If life was truly meant to be taken so seriously, I would not want to continue on! Your friend should be able to laugh with you and at you when necessary....period. ;0)
Forgiving. I'm not perfect, in fact no one is. I wouldn't judge my friend for screwing up or forgetting something because I will do just that at some point!
Caring. I tend to do this even if you don't think I should, it's just who I am. I want good things for you because you are my friend and if you are sad, that makes me sad too.
Acceptance. I don't think exactly like you and our backgrounds may be very different as well, but that doesn't make me like you any less. Nor would it ever.
Respect. Treat me like you would want me to treat you. Don't belittle me or talk about me behind my back, respect my opinions and we'll get along famously!
Now this isn't too much to ask is it? Just a little honest good listening while we laugh and accept each other. Then again, maybe it was to much to ask...hmmm...;0)

2 comments:

Maharry Balls said...

I agree with you! I, too, have had to "break-up" with friends before and have had it done to me as well. I don't see what the big deal is though because we break up with bf/gf's and THAT'S normal and expected when things aren't going well. I'm sorry you had that "falling out" but good for you for knowing what you want and deserve! I happen to think you're a great friend! :)

jgirl said...

Thanks Amy!