Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From the mouths of babes


For those of you who cared to notice, I missed my "This is what I like" segment yesterday. I've run out of things worth touting for the time being and will get back to it when I feel so inspired! I also wasted most of my blogging energy to a long winded entry in my Among the Lambsfold blog (click it if you're interested!)so, I have a little tidbit for the time being!
As a parent I consider myself lucky to be in charge of the upbringing of such wonderful little spirits that are my children. When they are very little they learn by mimicking what you do and say. When you laugh out loud they do too, when you unwittingly let lose an F-bomb, chances are they will do it too! As they grow though, it is great to listen as they develop their own personalities and thoughts about the world around them. Being home all the time now, I am able to witness these things more often and I love it!
My little one at 7, still drops his "R's" in his speech and his "L's" sound more like "ul" instead of "el". This makes for some interesting conversations when you aren't listening very well. The word Wal-Mart sounds more like Waul-Mawt and his speech is full of "W's". I could hear him growling at his siblings yesterday in the next room and asked what the problem was. "Mom, they'we making fun of my accent", he pouted. I snickered as he frowned and shouted at his siblings, "It's not funny!" and they laughed. I apologized and told his siblings to knock it off, I shouldn't have laughed...but it was so cute, I couldn't help it! =0)
My daughter is the boss and her nickname from my Man and I is "brat-child", she has a strong personality and natural leadership skills. She is in charge (self-appointed) of her brothers' behavior and takes the role very seriously. Being the only girl and the only granddaughter on one side of the family, she gets what she wants most of the time. She is nothing like me in personality, but is my only ally in the land of testosterone. She chatters incessantly about her dolls and clothes and the latest i-Carly episode. With an endless supply of friends and shoes and the annoyance of having to wear a uniform this year to school, she told me last night, "I hate that we have to wear uniforms to school this year, I just have an entire closet full of clothes that are inappropriate and it's not fair!" =0)
My oldest boy is not overly expressive (unless it has to do with whatever he is obsessing about) and his expressions don't generally match his feelings. I always take the time to listen closely to what he has to say because occasionally he shocks me. He told me on the way home from Wal-Mart last night, "I sure am a lucky boy!" I asked why that was and he told me, "I have my very own DS (Nintendo), I have a violin, and most importantly I have a home." "Yes son, you are a lucky boy", I smiled knowing that I really am the lucky one. He is such a good boy, Asperger's syndrome and all. He will never see the world like the rest of us do, but is learning to navigate his way through...and I really am the lucky one. =0)

1 comment:

Cara said...

You have such good kids. I thoroughly enjoy being around them. :)