Thursday, July 29, 2010

Let the frenzied purchases begin!



What is it about the kids going back to school that make the normal, mini-van driving Mom turn into a foaming, fanged creature? The employees hide when they see you coming with your screaming brood and as you destroy the Children's dept. in a whirlwind of pint-sized fashion. I stepped over countless piles of shoes and clothes and backpack piles in my quest for a birthday present today because I, unlike the rest, am done with my back to school shopping. Yes, that would be done as in finished, complete, and not continuing to do so any longer, so there! Ha!
So what's my secret? Okay, I'll confess to a little cheating this year, two of my kids are wearing uniforms to school this year. Once I learned of this and made the decision to keep them there at the same school for another year, I got to work collecting the necessary blue, white, and yellow polo shirts and the khaki or navy shorts, pants and skirts. I didn't cheat all the way though, I didn't just roll over and order everything from the school's uniform supply (as was suggested by the school) I did my leg work and made some pretty good scores! Yes, bargain shopping is the life blood of yours truly!
I read the uniform guidelines carefully and scoured the kid's existing clothes for what was uniform appropriate and to make a list of what to get. Anytime I went out shopping for the last 2 months I looked and when I came across a good deal, I snatched them up! Wal-Mart had appropriate colored shirts in my daughter's size on clearance for 3 dollars a piece, I snatched up the last 5 of them! Score! Sears had navy blue shorts in my son's size for 2.50 a piece and I bought 3 of them as well! Score! One of the very best scores I found was at Old Navy, polo shirts for 5 dollars a piece and long pants for 10 dollars a piece, I was easily able to get the rest of what the kids needed, without breaking the bank! Score!
My condolences to anyone who still needs to brave the throngs of screaming kids and over-stuffed racks in the quest for "the perfect pair of sneakers", I won't be joining you. I'll be getting the last bit of my vacation time with my kids for the next 2 weeks before I wave them off to learn and to get my house to stay cleaner longer than an hour! =0)

1 comment:

Cara said...

Hmmm, I haven'd done my school shopping yet. At least I only have one to shop for still. :)