Tuesday, July 27, 2010

TiP fOr TuEsDaY



There's a fine line...

Being a parent is the best way to motivate yourself to be a better person in all aspects. You need to put your best foot forward monitor your actions because you are now the example they learn from and follow. There's a fine line we have to walk between our fears and projections and what is truly best for your child. Just like ignorance is fed through the mouths of the uneducated/disadvantaged to their children, hard work and determination and selflessness can be too.
I have found that people don't always deem this as important as it should be and am often questioned when I point out otherwise. Children aren't miniature yous, they are humans and deserve to be treated with respect just the same as any adult. I let my children decide things for themselves (and guide them of course), but I always stay neutral unless I'm asked for my opinion.
My daughter made the decision to join a church last year age nine and I have been questioned and brow beaten on both sides over this decision, as if it were my own. On the converse my oldest son had had the opportunity to do the same, but has no desire and questions the concept of religion all together. On both decisions I gave my children my honest opinion and encouraged them to follow what they believe is right. I had a friend recently very upset with me for "allowing" my 9 year old daughter to make such decision, he blustered, " ...but, she's only nine! How can you let her make such a life altering decision?" I explained that she had made the decision, not only that she set her own interview and baptism time and whatever my feelings are, I could not see how having religion in your life could be a bad thing.
Which it isn't.
No one seems to understand my oldest son's decision on the other side of this either. I would not ever force him to participate if he didn't want to, it's his decision entirely. He is a man of science and even though we have explained to him the concept of creationism, I'm not entirely sure he believes it. Space travel and super-novas and black holes are fascinating to him, he could tell you all the facts of every planet in the solar system, but could he tell you if there is a God? I don't know.
What kind of parent would I be if told my kids that the sky is yellow, just because I though it should be? I hate ketchup with a passion, but that doesn't mean I don't buy it, or not let my kids eat it. If I'm afraid of something or unsure or passionate without fact and I teach my kids that, what would I get? Kids who think the sky is yellow, hate ketchup, are afraid of their shadows and yell the loudest with out anything substantial to back them up. If all parents did this, I would be afraid for our future. I don't know how much of a tip this was...but, it works for me! ;0)

1 comment:

Cara said...

I let my kids eat cheese and even touch it. They don't like milk on their cereal even though they've tried it before. :)