Thursday, September 23, 2010

A stitch in time (or several!)

Modeling my new dress with shoes and belt
Yes, yes... I know that I missed my daily bog post yesterday, but honestly I did get a few things accomplished! I have noticed that I had amassed quite the pile of sewing projects and since we're closing in here on Halloween (yes, it will be here before we know it! EEEK!) and I have like 4 or 5 costumes I need to work on, I decided I should clear out some of my other projects first!
First project was a shirt that I purchased and wore once and then inevitably shrunk in the wash...(good job, I know...) and I loved the styling and the fabric of the shirt and I loved the color as well. So, rather than toss it, I thought I'd do a little "New Dress a Day" action (click the link to see what I'm talking about) and revamp it instead! I cut off the bottom of the shirt to even it up and stitched together a skirt out of a $1 remnant I had that matched perfectly and attached it to the shirt. Wow! Instant dress! I also took part of the material I took off the bottom of the shirt and fashioned it into a rosette that I attached to a headband to be all matchy-matchy and voila! Just took 20 minutes to complete too!

The next project was a dress for my friend's baby girl, I had this all ready to go and it took maybe 15 minutes to put all together. I took a sleeveless little onesie and cut off the bottom at empire waste length. I then made a skirt out of some leftover gingham I had and attached a matching length of ribbon to the top. I then sewed the skirt to the top of the onsie and I intended to reattach the bottom of the onsie, but the length of the skirt was so cute with the ribbon, I decided to leave it as is. I finished it up by making a cute bow with some more ribbon and attached it to a stretchy headband! It turned out so cute! ;0)
The last project I actually completed in about an hour last night , it was a top  for my daughter . I had some left over material leftover from a project a couple of weeks ago and decided to put  it to good use  by attaching it to a t-shirt for my daughter. of course, we couldn't stop there though!  She loves  anything with netting and I had some purple netting. I started by attaching  some of the leftover material from the bottom to the netting  and attached that to the leftover bottom of the t-shirt I had cut off. I then attached that to the shirt in a diagonal way, you know eighties punk style! It turned out so cute and what a great way to dress up a t-shirt that bought off clearance for a buck! 
I've been a sewing and I have several other things to sew and I promise I'll share them with blog-land too! ;0)                                                                                                                              
Adorable baby dress for a friend!





Punky top for my daughter!





                                                                                                             all stitched up!




2 comments:

Katrina said...

Super cute pink dress!!! I need to do some recycling with some of my clothes!

jgirl said...

Thanks Trina! I love the pink dress, it turned out great! ;0)