Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Trudging through the endless project pile...

I got started on the Halloween sewing...

and made and awesome remnant skirt...

and took care of a ridiculous-sleeved dress..

with a little snip, snip action...

and modeled them both...

uh, somewhat willingly!
Ah, I fear that my time being blissfully unemployed is coming to an end and even though this won't stop me from blogging, it may slow down my sewing efforts a bit. This is why I've been dedicating some time to getting the project pile under control!
First off I tackled a pair of overalls I purchased at ye old thrift store, that will part of my Man's Halloween costume. Uh, uh, uh...I'm not sharing what it will be a part of, you'll have to wait till Halloween like everyone else!;0) Anyway, the straps were a tad too short, so I reached into the endless remnant pile and pulled out some gingham and cut the fasteners off the too short straps and attached the gingham to lengthen them a bit. I then reattached the fasteners to the new gingham straps and cut out patches of gingham and corduroy and a micro-stripe in great Fall colors. I stitched them all over the front of the overalls with a little yarn and voila! Instant part of my Man's Halloween costume!;0)
Next I picked up a remnant of zebra stripe this week and decided...hmmm...I want a skirt! My Man suggested that an entirely zebra striped skirt might be a bit too much. Well, I showed him! I had this great peony,/bird/branches material that looked pretty good with the zebra stripes and dug a little further and found a great yellow star material as well. I thought they looked great together, my Man decided he should have kept his mouth shut! Ha! Remind me to wear this for date night this week. I pulled out some wide black elastic I had to attach the skirt to (because that is very "now" these days) and took a few minutes to even put darts in all even and everything, Mom should be proud!;0) (Hi, Mom!) I attached the skirt to the elastic and hemmed it all up and I LOVE how it turned out! Talk about unique and I'm all about unique, shazaam! ;0)
Lastly I performed a little "New Dress a Day" action on a great dress with somewhat ridiculous sleeves. I bought this dress on clearance for like 6 bucks I think and loved the styling of it and its super comfy jersey knit fabric. On the hanger it was impossible to tell that the sleeves were going to stick straight out like that and stick straight out they did! Trust me you didn't want to see a before shot, *shudder*. It would been such a waste not to get to enjoy the comfort of this dress so I snipped it up and cut those silly sleeves right off. Then I took the hem off of the discarded sleeves and fashioned little loops for the tops of them and left the sleeves raw edged (they'll just curl anyway) and presto! Instant cuteness and super comfy action as well (I'm wearing it now...ahhh, the splendor!).
I'm trudging through the pile and of course have several projects to go and I will be sure to share! I don't promise to model any better though...just a heads up! ;0)

1 comment:

Cara said...

If my sewing machine liked me I might get it out more... hmm, probably not! ;)