Wednesday, January 12, 2011

TiP fOr TuEsDaY (post 179)

                       *TIP FOR TUESDAY* 

                                                  And the battle of the phone bill begins...

(a quick note, I did start this yesterday but got caught up in the day and didn't finish...no, I am not a slacker...really!)
I noticed that my phone bill from this last month was a little more expensive than usual, by about $15. This is unusual in fact seeing as though- I have had the exact same carrier for the last 7 years, haven't tweaked my plan, never come close to using up all my minutes, have done nothing different in fact. Upon closer inspection I noticed that I had about 18 "roaming" minutes at .69 cents a minute. Roaming? I'd been nowhere, but the confines of my city, for the length of the entire month. How on earth could I have been roaming? It didn't make sense at all, even if I had in fact been roaming, why would I be inside my calling area? Especially when I have never received any roaming minutes in the city before, something was up. 
I recalled the same complaint from my man (who has the same carrier) last month and when he called to question the charges, they were immediately reversed without a fuss. He has had a long battle with our carrier and their refusal to repair/replace his "crackberry", even though they are well aware of it's problems at the corporate level. Every time he goes to get it done at our local carrier store, they refuse to help him or insist that he leave his phone with them for the day to get worked on. He uses the phone for his business and there is no way he can go without it for the day, it is really ridiculous. My man suggested I call and do the same or he would for me and he also suggested I blog about it and research to see if anyone else had the same complaint. What I found was that there were many, many complaints about my carrier (and even a class action lawsuit against them) and their questionable billing practices. See here and here and here. I did not find a specific complaint about my issue, no matter though. I reset my phone and made sure that the no roaming feature was enabled in the interim and I intend to contact my carrier about the charges soon.
I'll let you all know when and if I get to the bottom of it all and my "tip" is to not be afraid to question when you know you're being overcharged. As for my man, he has vowed to switch carriers as soon as his contract is up...not that I blame him!

No comments: