Thursday, June 3, 2010

"You've lost your muchness..."


This week my family and I watched Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, I suppose this is Disney's way of trying to make up for butchering the 1951 version so badly. I spent a good deal of my growing up years reading classics, including Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carrol. If you are familiar with this book and with the 1951 Disney cartoon version of "Alice", you know that there are very few similarities. Some of the characters remain the same such as the March Hair, the Mad Hatter, the Cheshire Cat, but the cartoon version is very tame in comparison.
Now Tim Burton, in true Tim Burton fashion weaves a glorious and colorful tale of Alice, returning to Wonderland to be enlisted, albeit a bit unwillingly, to help defeat the Red Queen and her minion the Jabberwockey. This movie is as beautiful to look at, as it is enthralling to watch.
Now why (you are asking yourself) am I reviewing "Alice in Wonderland?" Actually I just wanted to give a little background to a quote from the movie I am going to apply to myself, ha! The Mad Hatter rescues Alice toward the beginning of the movie and hides her from the minions of the Red Queen. He whisks her off to safety and confesses that she isn't the same Alice as she was as a little girl. When Alice questions him as to why? He tells her that she has "lost her muchness". I too feel that I have lost my "muchness", my identity in a way. It's amazing how we can associate the way we feel about ourselves based upon our occupations. Since losing my job in April (although trust me, it was long overdue), I have had a hard time adjusting to the full time domestic life. Of course, I've always had to do the house keeping thing, it was just more of squeezing it in to lulls in life and not an everyday, "you're kidding the only time I left the house was to drop off/pick up kids from school?" daily routine. "So, I've lost my muchness, eh?", says Alice as she bravely storms the Red Queen's castle. Perhaps, I should apply the same gumption to my inner domestic diva...ha!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Welcome to my world! At least you can send your kids away though... :)