Thursday, October 21, 2010

hALLoWeEn Is ALMoSt HeRe...

Oh yes...

we thought the costume was fitting this year!
Since Halloween is just over a week away, I guess that means that I have working on costumes...and I have! I got this one all done today for my daughter. I refused to dress her as a princess or a fairy or a ballerina this year...yes, I know I'm mean...but, there are so many other things you can be and still be girlie, right? Right! I somehow talked her into being a little she-devil this year instead and look at how cute the result is! The only prop we had to buy was the pitchfork, I was able to use or re-purpose the rest and hers will be the most expensive costume I will have to make this year and even it only cost a whopping 9 bucks and will last years.
The lowdown:
I bought 3 bucks-worth of remnant material, the flames, the plain red and the red netting. I first sewed the flame material into a skirt and then I attached the red netting to it making sure the netting hung down longer than the flame skirt and attached it all to the red top (5 bucks, thank you Wal-Mart). I then cut the red netting into points along the edge of the skirt and got to work making horns and a tail.
I cut the red material into points for the horns and sewed it together for the tail making a point at the end. After I got them sewed together I stuffed the horns with a little batting and then the tail. I stitched in some loops to slide the horns onto a headband I already had and I wired up the tail with some leftover wire I had from a different project. I took a wide elastic belt that I took off of a shirt I had that didn't fit me and stitched the tail to it. Voila! A little she-devil costume done and so cute! She has some red tights to wear as well and I promise to post pictures of everyone dressed up for Halloween.
So, what is everyone else going as this year? You'll have to wait to the rest of mine! ;0)

No comments: