Thursday, October 14, 2010

Over the rainbow...

Pretty rainbow dress for my niece

with a big, pretty bow in the back!
close-up of the adorable material!

As you can see, this has been the extent of my sewing for this week. While I still have 3 costumes to make and a couple of other projects, I was perfectly happy to work on such a pretty dress! My little niece Ainsley loves rainbows (click here to read about it) and I had some rainbow striped material in my stash. When I asked my sister what to get for Ainsley's upcoming birthday, she said, "How about a dress?" I know that in years past that they have had a bit of a hard time finding long-sleeved dresses for the winter (they actually have seasons where they live) so, I thought I'd make a long-sleeved one!
I bought a plain black shirt at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks and with the rainbow striped material and a coordinating I had, I got to work. I cut the shirt at empire-waste length and sewed the rainbow stripe into a skirt, taking care to match up the stripes. I then cut the coordinating material for a band at the bottom and for a sash at the top. The material itself wasn't quite long enough for a sash (with a really big bow) so, I cut another strip to fasten to the ends of the sash to lengthen it. I then attached the sash to the shirt and attached the skirt the shirt as well. I stitched up the ends of the sash and hemmed the bottom and pressed the whole thing. I also have a bit of embellishing to do the the top, but look at how cute this dress turned out!
What a perfect dress for my little niece Ainsley "Rainbow"! My daughter of course came home and announced she needed one just like it, I guess I'll just add it to the project pile! ;0)

1 comment:

Cara said...

"Rainbow" will love it! Thank you!!!