Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why live your life on facebook?

I love facebook, I won't lie. What I don't understand is the need some people have to update all their "FB" friends, play by play, all day long.  This week alone I have found out that a set of friends are divorcing, that a relative is having marital issues too, that a "friend" only ever updates her statuses with the boring details of monotonous life and that another "friend" only wishes to influence me politically. If you and your partner are splitting, why do I need to read about it 10 times in one day? Shouldn't you be putting some of that effort into typing in status updates into working on your family? Just sayin'...and what's with all the lame teaser updates? " they say it's top secret...yeah, right.", what?! I can understand maybe teasing friends with actually news, maybe.There is this awesome sight lamebook (psst...it's not for the faint of heart, just warning you) that has the best of the worst facebook status updates from real people and I, for one, find it hilarious! You'll have to click the image to enlarge it.

My sis had an excellent point on her blog back in June (read it, she has a valid point!) about the problem with facebook and I agree totally. I know I spend a lot of time scrolling down the news feed checking on my 400 and something friends I've amassed (somehow), but honestly there are only a handful of them that I even have talked to in person (or otherwise) at any point in the last 10 years. It's fun to see what people are doing and where friends you've lost are at now, but seriously people! I would have been okay not to know what you had for lunch or that you are fighting with your spouse and pay attention to spelling for goodness sake! "Hmmmm... Have U ever notice when ur watching 2 1/2 men, the Mom always has the SAME outfit on..." I can understand being a little lazy in a texting forum, but otherwise you just look dumb and it's hard to read!
Seriously, I do love facebook and love that I can see what people I know or used to know are doing. I just wish some people would spend a little more time not making it so obvious that they have no life and perhaps should spend a little more time in actuality, just sayin'!;0) 

4 comments:

Mamabyrd said...

Well, said! There are quite a few status updates I pass by because it gives me a headache to read them. YOUr computer has spell check please use it! I admit that I've posted silly status updates from time to time & occasionally I've posted something personal. Like today my mom asked me to keep our family & friends updated on how she is doing. The only way I can keep in touch with a lot of them is through Facebook.

jgirl said...

I am known for posting stuff just for a laugh as well and personal stuff on occasion too...just not all the time and yes, they make Spell check for a reason! ;0)

Cara said...

He, he, he. ASfter the last couple of days I've had with Nathan's family I could use a laugh or two. Thanks. :)

Cara said...

After... that is. :)