Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sew sweet!

My daughter is so pretty and a bit stubborn...

While she modeled her pretty new dress...
and I also altered a jumper for her for school...

and sewed the cutest baby ballerina dress ever!
Can you believe how cute that teeny little ballerina dress turned out?! I was commissioned by my sissy to either find a ballerina Halloween costume for my little niece or to make one. I knew I could make a pretty one easily as long as I could find and inexpensive tank top to use as the bodice. I chose this so that my sis could easily put a long sleeved body suit underneath for warmth. I was able to pick one up on clearance at Old Navy for about a buck (can't beat that!) and all the other materials, I had. So, think about it...a buck + 30 minutes of my time = cha ching! It's so stinkin' cute too! ;0)
Up at the top I had some pretty off white and pink floral fabric that was silky and soft...of course my daughter wanted something out of it and I obliged!;0) I took a 3 dollar tank top and cut off the bottom at empire-waste length and sewed a long flowy skirt to the bottom. I also made a sash out of the excess and recycled an off white flower that fell off of something (I have no idea what though) and stitched a safety pin to the back and clipped it on the strap. I turned out so pretty and my daughter was nice enough to model it as well, uh okay...as you can see she wasn't nice enough to smile though, preteens...;0P
I also took the time to alter a jumper I found at 'ye old thrift store' for 4 bucks, into a uniform appropriate frock for my daughter. It was a woman's size medium and was way too long and way too wide for her, no problem though! I had her try it on as I pinned it to fit and snipped where I needed to shorten it. There were some large pockets on the sides that I would have sewn right over, so I removed them as well. I altered it and ran it through the wash and decided what to do with the hem, ribbon! I used some sew-less hemming tape and ironed the ribbon all the way around the edge before I went back to stitch in place. I decided to jazz it up a bit at the top as well and ironed and stitched down some ribbon at the top too. The result? A uniform appropriate jumper that was less than I could buy the material for and way less than I could buy it new! ;0)

3 comments:

Cara said...

So cute! Thank you so much!! I can't wait to see it on her especially with the leg warmers.

Unknown said...

Jessica you are seriously amazing at sewing. I can't believe your talent. I love the apron you made me for my wedding!

jgirl said...

You're welcome Sissy and Chelsea, I enjoy it! ;0)