Thursday, December 2, 2010

A stitch in time...Christmas is a coming!

A menagerie of felt ornaments...

and fabric for homemade stockings too...

a little panted star action...

and spray painted pinecones and leaves too!
As I prepare furiously to get the last of my tree decorations finished for this weekend, I thought I'd share a glimpse of what I'm making. Each year at the end of the season when all the decorations are on sale for 75% off, I choose my Christmas color theme for the next year. Last year I was able to snag some adorable sparkly teal bead-garland for like a dollar a strand. This paired with some gorgeous gold gem ornaments, birthed my theme for this year. Now heaven forbid I was able to find matching stockings anyplace, so I got creative. I snagged some material from the remnant bin at my local Wal-Mart that was a good match along with some remnant cream felt and it set me back a whole 3 bucks! I found a stocking pattern off the net and got to work cutting out and stitching together stockings for everyone.
This fall the kids collected three large grocery bags of pinecones at our local park and I used most of them as decoration in my empty window boxes. I purposely saved a bag and spray painted them gold to match, 3 bucks for spray paint, pinecones, free!
I went to Michael's to get some felt for ornaments and came across some wooden stars for like 40 cents each and came home and painted them teal and gold to match and talked my man into drilling holes in the centers for me. A little gold yarn later and I had star ornaments!
The felt was on sale for 5 sheets for a buck and I loaded up. It took me a  little bit to decide exactly what I wanted to make out of them. At first I thought stars...but I had several of them already and I didn't want my tree to read as western in theme. I finally decided on wreaths! I folded the felt into fourths and took my trusty sharpie and a small bowl and traced circles for the wreaths. I next found a plastic cup and traced around it for the centers. After cutting out all my wreaths I decided I should do something with the centers left over. I traced stars out of the cream felt centers and glued them to the teal with a little tacky glue. I then used my gold yarn again and threaded through two points in the middle so they looked like threaded buttons and came up through the backs and tied small bows to the fronts. For the wreaths I blanket stitched the middles together and lined the insides with a strip of batting and blanket stitched the outsides shut. I wanted them to have a little more gold on them, so I wove some more gold yarn across the fronts in a triangle pattern. These are a little more time consuming, but completely adorable!
All of this good stuff will be paired with wide ribbon garland, white lights, some matching glass balls for cheap from Tai Pan Trading and of course the things I picked up last year. I'll post pictures of it all up when it's done! For now I need to hurry and complete my ornaments for Christmas is a coming! ;0)

No comments: