Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TiP fOr TuEsDaY (post 164)

Merry Christmas, Mom's lost it!

                        What do you mean I can't do it all?!

Oh, and how I wish I could too...poo. Is this frazzled look a permanent stain across your face this time of year? I'm not going to lie, I probably look like this far too often. There are so many things I would like to get accomplished and just so many hours in the day and being overwhelmed gets to you after a while. I am up to my ears in projects and in fact have one on my lap I've been applying a few stitches to when my computer is taking forever to load and I want to get everything done. Yes, everything and the house cleaned and the kids fed and two concerts attended tonight and an interview gone to this morning and a blog post written and...and...and...phew! I can't do it all, no matter how hard I try...So, what do you do when you can't? Here's a few tips:

Let something go.
Do you have to attend every single Christmas party you've been invited to, are the kids just going to trash the house again after you cleaned for hours? Exactly. Don't be upset if you missed an event and I will be only spot cleaning this week until all of my homemade gifts are done. It'll just have to do and I know I will be scrubbing the house spotless next week and the kids didn't seem to care we missed one Christmas event. So be it!

Rethink your priorities.
Absolutely would I love to make sure that everyone in my life has gotten something from me for the holidays, but when funds are low and time is at a premium everyone might not get something wonderful. Don't worry if you were only able to send a card with a heartfelt note this year, I'll bet your friends were glad to just know you were thinking about them. I know I would be!

Refuel and refresh.
Take a break, do something just for you, put yourself in time out. Thinking of homemaking like a job helps with this. You wouldn't go all day working without taking a lunch break, right? For the most part no and don't feel bad that you stopped for a few minutes to do something else. I take a minute to reset and get back to it when I'm getting frustrated with a project or task and sometimes just a minute is all I need to gear up and get back to it again.
Cheer up, I won't be able to do everything either. My house is a wreck, the kids ate PB and J for dinner, and I have 1/2 of my projects left to complete...the thing is though, I'm okay with that! ;0)

No comments: