Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sew sweet!

 I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but I love to remake things I've picked up at the thrift store. I suppose I'm lucky or we have well-to-do people that donate in our area, but I find some of the best things there! I found a DKNY dress for my daughter, tags still attached, for $2! I mean, unreal! ;0)
These two "sew sweet" projects I made for my itty-bitty baby niece (who's turning one!) are made from things I picked up at the thrift store. The top little dress started out as a 18month sized t-shirt from Carter's. If you've had kids, you know that Carter's is a great brand and holds up well. I loved the little sweet flower embroidery patch on the front and initially I wanted to find green material, with a possible stripe to go with it. I tried a few remnants I had on hand, but wasn't really satisfied with any. On a later trip to my local big box store, I was rummaging through the remnant bin and came up with this great floral fabric. I hadn't intended to use it on the dress, but when I brought it home it worked! I attached the skirt and matching green ribbon and stitched together a simple bow for the front. I found a couple of matching buttons and stitched them to the bow as well. Lastly, I found a pair of adorable green striped bloomers for underneath (50 cents, no lie!) that completed the ensemble.

The bottom pillow was put together with all remnants I had in my stash and the insert was a pillow I picked up at the thrift store for $2. First things first, I brought the pillow home and removed the kind of ugly and also torn cover. It was sewn directly to the front of the pillow and as I unstitched it, I nicked it a couple of times along the edges. (ooops!) Next it took a hot water/bleach bath in the washer and a full hot cycle spin in the dryer as well.(Because you can never be to safe, right? ;0)) After it was clean, I whip stitched the nicks closed and pieced together the front of the pillow. I loved how the last pillow I did turned out so much (click here), I decided to see if I could copy it. I love the variegated stripe in the last pillow (it was just an already made pillow I embellished) so, I chose remnants with lighter to darker colors in the same color family. "Breah's" room is decorated in a bee theme and I chose some yellow and charcoal felt for the body and white for the wings. I layered the charcoal and yellow felt together and cut out an oval. To make the stripes I cut the oval (still layered)  into four pieces. I then chose to charcoal and two yellow pieces and they fit together perfectly! After appliqueing the felt to the pillow front, I got to work putting the back together. I loved how the shark pillow was put together like a sham (folded over itself for easy removal) and I did the same for this pillow. Lastly the case was big (intentionally) and the pillow insert was super puffy. I put the case on the pillow and centered it and pinned and stitched the excess material to form a border. The result? How cute is this?! I love how it turned out and altogether was about 3 dollars in material I didn't already have! Cha-ching!

No comments: