Thursday, March 24, 2011

Well read...

"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket."  ~Chinese Proverb

Planting the seeds of knowledge through a love of reading. 

I can still remember the day I got my first library card. I was in the first grade and I was so excited because a friend of mine was getting one too. You just had to be able to sign your name and I took my time and printed it as clearly as I could. By the time I was in first grade I had developed a great love of reading and was able to check out whatever I wanted to read in the library. I read all the Beverly Cleary books (and re-read them over the years, many times over). I remember checking out books on cooking and nonfiction and amused myself by reading classics and imagining myself in all settings throughout history.
I was socially awkward growing up and never fit in well. I spent a great deal of time being teased all throughout Elementary school and part of Middle school as well. When I read, I had friends who didn't judge me, I was able to visit places and do things I would never be able to do growing up in our very isolated small town. Going to the library every week became the summertime ritual of me and my best-friend, I would check out 5 books (the limit a week) every single time and would have no trouble reading them all and loving it. When I ran out of those I would read the dictionary, encyclopaedia volumes, and even the phone book!
As I got older and into High school, I decided I didn't care whether people liked me or not and anytime I had free time, I would have my nose in a book. People assumed I was really smart or snooty, but I could read about people and things and not have to interact with them and feel awkward. I could read and never be lonely.
I love that I can read anything and learn. If I don't know how to do something, I automatically read and teach myself to do it. This goes for following instructions on how to operate devices and put things together and I have successfully annoyed my man for being able to read and comprehend directions/instructions in a snap. "How do you know that?"..."Um, I CAN read..." ;0)
Do you spend time reading to your children? That includes babies and up until they are too ornery (or smart, ha!) to listen anymore. My kids love it when I read to them still and they are almost 12, 10 1/2 and 8. I read to them always growing up and even though I encourage them to read to themselves these days, it's still fun to read a fun book to them sometimes. My oldest son refused to read any works of fiction when he was younger (he has Asperger's and is very set in his ways) and would instead be reading large text books on history and space. Today he is required to read certain works of fiction for credit in one of his classes and he has surprised me (and himself) that he kind of enjoys it! He'd probably rather read non-fiction (for instance he's reading and teaching himself to play chess) but, appreciates fiction now. My daughter reads classics and novels and is usually reading at least 3 books at once! My little one has discovered that he can still enjoy Harry Potter when he reads all the books! They all beg me to get a new book anytime I visit the thrift store as well.
Turn off the TV and read. Make reading a nightly ritual. The TV's are off at 8 at my house and when my kids are done cleaning up and getting ready for bed (at 9) they sit in their beds and read. Read to your little ones, teach them that you can do anything if you can read!


P.S. I read the entire Hunger Games series (Suzanne Collins) in 6 days! Feel free to hate me...j/k! ;0)


 

No comments: