Friday, August 13, 2010

ThOuGhT fOr ThE dAy



Keep it simple.

1sim•ple/adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin simplus, alteration of Latin simplic-, simplex single, having one ingredient, plain
Date: 13th century
1 : free from guile : innocent
2 a : free from vanity : modest b : free from ostentation or display
3 : of humble origin or modest position


Here's an example from my friend Merriam/Webster...simple, free from guile, innocent, modest, humble origin. When you read these definitions what do you think?
Free from guile: No bad thoughts or feelings towards others.
Innocent: Like a little child, knowing not of the trials of the world.
Modest: Limited, functional, without fuss.
Humble origin: From simple starts in life.
All of these things were once very valid and not unusual in life, today not so much. We have electronic everything from the time we are very young and I fear fail to appreciate the importance of a little simplicity in our lives. I mean think about it, how often do you take the time to sit enjoy the simple act of reading a book, or enjoy a walk in nature, or listen to the laughter of your children in the next room? I vow to never undervalue the power of the simple. I love to expose my children to an evening walk, a read aloud story, playing of card and board games, the sound of silence. I want to teach them to be free from guile, and keep them innocent as long as possible. I want them to be modest and teach them about those who came from humble origins and how they succeeded. I think this may very well be the key to survival in this day and age, remembering the simple things in life...just a thought. =0)

No comments: