Friday, August 27, 2010

ThOuGhT fOr ThE dAy



Be the very best parent ever!

This thought isn't nearly as hard as you might think it to be. Really all it takes is stepping back and thinking, is this the very best for my child?, is this the very best I can do?, is this REALLY what I want and not what my child wants? You see, that isn't so daunting, is it? ;0) Let's break it down:

Is this the very best for my child?
Do you spend more time in your day running to activities for your child than time at home? I want my children to be able to experience life and achieve, but I also want then to enjoy being children. If you spend more time running to lessons and classes and activities than anything else, take a step back and think. It might not be the very best for your child or for you. Let your child decide on a couple of activities they really enjoy and concentrate on those. Don't try to persuade them one way or the other either, really let them choose. This way you know the they are really enjoying themselves and will still have time to be kids!

Is this the very best I can do?
Honestly, some parents don't get it, they would much rather not do things because they plain just don't want to. It may be difficult, it may be boring to them, it may be...WAIT!! Once you had those kids, it is NOT about you anymore! My kids have been good, no fighting, did their chores, keeping up with their schoolwork and now want to go to McDonald's. I dislike McDonald's, the food ain't great, there are far too many screaming kids...but, wait, it isn't about me is it? So what do I do? I take them to McDonald's and they love it. Me? Yep, I'll get over it! I actually have a couple of friends who have a child and all I ever hear from the Mom is how the Dad won't do things or get things for the child that she needs because he doesn't AGREE with them. What?! I asked, "Uh...didn't you tell him, it's not about him anymore?" I mean come on!? Okay, that's it...now I'm annoyed so next question! ;0)

Is this really what I want and not what my child wants?
It's okay, we all do it sometimes right? I REALLY want these shoes Mommy and you suggest a cheaper pair, am I right? Ha ha you caught me, I totally do that too, but this isn't really what I'm talking about. You sign them up for karate because you took karate and now they throw a fit every time it's time to go. Did you ask your child if that was what they wanted to do? My guess would be a no. Take the time to really get to know your child and their wants and wishes because they are NOT mini-you's. Children deserve to be treated with the same respect you deserve and if someone just signed you up for something and told you you had to go you'd be pissed right? Right.

When you think back about being a kid do you remember you parents talking down to you and not paying attention to what you want? Think about it then and try your hardest to be the very best parent ever, it's not that hard....just a thought. ;0)

No comments: