Tuesday, August 17, 2010

TiP fOr TuEsDaY




They WILL grow up... (even if you aren't ready!)

Both of these pictures are of my daughter taken just a year apart. She has grown up before my eyes this last year. Gone is the baby-fat and she has grown several inches and up 2 clothing sizes and now officially wears a size smaller than me in them! Her feet have grown too, she wears a woman's size 6 in shoes (I just wear an 8!). Other things have happened too and I wasn't all that prepared for it to happen so fast.
I had to buy her a bra this last year, which was completely foreign to me! I got one before the sixth grade at 11 and I probably didn't need one then! I had to have her start wearing deodorant too. I noticed earlier this summer that she was starting to break out across her forehead. I encouraged her to keep her face cleaner and bought her some acne wash and it cleared up for a bit before coming back with a vengeance! My man and I decided that we should sit down with her and have "the talk" about growing up and what happens to our bodies as we go through puberty. We just casually brought it up one evening as were enjoying our porch swing and she nestled herself between us as she usually does. She listened wide eyed and said "eww" a few times, but shrugged her shoulders and left when were finished. As she went inside, my man reached over and gave me a high-five for getting us through it. I shook my head and bought her some feminine protection and gave her a quick tutorial on how to use it.
I watch her as she dresses her dolls, I watch her as she babysits her brother, I watch her as she has grown past my shoulder. Soon it will be all about boys and make-up and dates to the prom...but not yet. I'll remember this while I tuck her in tonight and read to her a chapter from her book...that she IS growing up, even if I'm not quite ready!

4 comments:

Maharry Balls said...

Whoa! I would have thought those pictures were a few years apart! That's crazy! How old is she now?? This reminds me of my friend whose daughter is 9 and starting puberty. It freaked me out because that seems SOOO young! Good for you for getting through the "talk"! That must be scary stuff!!!

jgirl said...

she will be 10 next week and i can't believe how young she is!!! it is sooo crazy that grow up so fast anymore....*sigh*

Maharry Balls said...

She sure is purty though! ;)

jgirl said...

thanks...we'll keep her! LOL! ;0)