Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The great Turkey Day Gluten-Free Menu

No pics for the post today, I really didn't have time to round any up...no matter though! I thought I'd take a few minutes to tell you how to make Thanksgiving yummy and gluten-free and it really isn't that hard! ;0)

Turkey. Actually nothing fancy has to be done with the turkey at all, just avoid using the little seasoning/sauce packet that comes with the bird. Not only is it loaded with preservatives and isn't any good for you, 99% of the time it has a gluten based substance in it as well. Just baste the turkey with a little butter (or soy butter), add some fresh herbs (think rosemary and thyme), we usually add crushed pineapple to the top of ours as well. That's it!;0)

Mashed Potatoes. Believe it or not, I think gluten-free/dairy-free mashed potatoes taste every bit as good or better than the regular kind and these aren't hard at all either. Boil cubed potatoes with two or three cloves of fresh garlic (yes, boil the garlic too) when they are soft enough, drain them, add some soy butter (Earth Balance is really good) and some original flavored soy milk. Just enough to blend them smoothly and not be runny. Add a dash of onion powder and a little dill for flavor and you have some awesome good gf/df mashed potatoes.

Stuffing. Wait a minute, you can even make stuffing gluten-free? All it takes is using a loaf of gluten-free bread (I use tapioca loaf from Ener-G, although I wouldn't recommend making sandwiches with it as it's kind of dry, but perfectly acceptable for stuffing!) and then following your favorite homemade stuffing recipe. I wish I had the exact recipe to share with you, but since I don't actually make the stuffing (that would be my man's job)...you'll just have to trust me on this!;0) It involves eggs, celery, onions, and seasonings and is super yummy!;0)

Pumpkin Pie. I used a recipe that some one sent me last year that was a crustless version of the confection and although it was yummy, it wasn't really "pie" (I added it to the sidebar if you want to try it!). This year I'm going to make the real thing myself and see how it turns out. Crust. Pie crust is made with all purpose flour, salt, shortening, butter, vegetable oil, and milk Replacing the flour with my trusty Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour and using soy butter and soy milk should do the trick. The key with replacements such as these is to watch the consistency of the finished product, just adjust amounts of each as necessary...haha, I'll let you know how it turns out!;0) Filling. I essentially have to do nothing different with the filling, Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix (in the can) is already gluten-free (score!) and adding the necessary eggs and evaporated milk is the only trick. Eggs, no problem. Evaporated milk, that's a little trickier. I'll use soy milk, but not as much as the recipe calls for because it will be runnier than necessary anyway. The pie itself will be soft no doubt, but as far as I can tell it should taste perfectly yummy anyhow! ;0)

So if you think that gluten-free Thanksgiving dinner might sound a little "weird", I'll assure you that it really isn't! In fact most of my dinner guests tomorrow will have no idea what's gluten-free and what's not! ;0)

Today I'm thankful to have so many things to be thankful for!

No comments: