Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 2010

"When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed
when you are discouraged thinking all is lost 
count your many blessings name them one by one
and it will surprise you what the Lord has done..." 
Johnson Oatman Jr.
                                                                       J. Lamb 2010
I don't know about all of you, but I sure am thankful. Not only because of the date on the calender, but in general as well. It's so easy to get caught up in all the things that need to be accomplished, in all the things you can or cannot help, in running as fast as you can in the rat race. I don't know if I'm a little different or what, but if I don't take the time to step back and reflect occasionally on all the good things, I lose sight of what is really important in life. I'm well aware that what's important to people is really a matter of perspective, of where you are in the journey of life. This is what I know is important to me and what I am truly grateful for:

My family.
Full of quirks and idiosyncrasy, but never lacking in the love and support department. I love my Mom and Dad so much, they did the very best job with what they knew and I never felt deprived in anyway and never had to wonder how much they loved me. Thank you! My kids. I don't know what I did to deserve such wonderful, well-behaved, thoughtful kids, but I'm not complaining! Not having them to kiss every night for almost 2 years was the hardest thing I've ever had to endure, I will never not appreciate that they are here everyday, to drive me nuts and to love! I love you guys! My Man. I will not tell you that it has always been easy with us, in fact it's an ongoing process, but I really do love and appreciate everything you do for us and the wonderful job you do in helping raise "our" kids. I love you!
 The Basics.
You never know how important little things like food to eat, a warm bed to sleep in are until you don't have them. I've been very poor in my lifetime, so poor that if not for the help of others we wouldn't have had those basic things. If you have much in your life, then you owe it to yourself to help others that don't have as much as you. It doesn't have to be much, donate used clothing, donate food, donate time to help others less fortunate than you.
My life and freedom.
I have the wonderful opportunity to wake up each and every morning with the simple knowledge that I am alive for another day and I am free to live it how I choose. I am alive to see the beautiful scenery of the world around us, I am free to move about and breathe as I choose. I can write about whatever I want without the fear of being persecuted for my beliefs and I know enough to appreciate that freedom. I love the fact that I am alive to be here and love my loved ones. I am truly grateful.

No comments: